Spring is here and many homeowners are looking to improve and add curb appeal. What simple steps can be taken to improve your home’s value?
Did you know that by updating or repairing your roof you can increase your curb appeal by 40 percent? GAF, one of North America’s largest roofing manufacturers, is an expert on things related to homes and roofs. An executive from GAF has provided the tips below to protect your roof this Spring as well as new trends and styles that will make your roof stand out and increase the value of your home. Let us know if you are interested in speaking with GAF to review these spring roof tips and learn more on how your roof will improve your home’s look.
1. Start off by checking the roof framing structure to make sure it is not compromised. Visually scan the roof for any sagging or uneven areas.
2. Inspect and clean your gutter systems to make sure they are not clogged with branches, leaves or other debris.
3. Make sure that gutters are fastened properly and are tight and secure so that they don’t cause overflow and build-up or fall off the fascia board.
4. Check the valleys of the roof to ensure that they are also free and clear of debris as this can add weight to the roof. Debris also can act as a barrier, causing rain to collect and not drain properly.
5. Metal flashing should also be used around roof vents, pipes, skylights, and chimneys. One of the most common causes for roofing leaks is problems where flashing is missing, not securely installed or damaged.
6. Walk around your entire house and carefully inspect the shingles on the roof. Look for curling edges, missing granules, missing shingles, etc.
Any of the problems you find with these inspections should be tended to as soon as possible.