Money Magazine and CNN posted an article awhile back entitled: “Redo Your Roof The Right Way” By Josh Garskof @Money May 11, 2012: 6:28 AM ET
Think about this. Aside from perhaps a lavish kitchen remodel, what other home project is as critical for protecting your home’s value than a new roof?
Here’s some highlights of what Josh says:
- Getting a new roof put on your home can dramatically increase your home’s value.
- The process doesn’t have to be a nightmare!
- Know when it’s time to get a new roof (versus repair).
- Get bids from three roofers, to compare not just prices but also their attitude and approach.
- Hire someone who is willing to: (1) get a building permit, (2) remove only as much roofing each day as he can reinstall by the end of that day, (3) lay protective plywood over decks and patios, and tarps over walls, the lawn, shrubs, and unfinished areas, and (4) clean the job site every night.
- Be sure they also install vents at the roof’s peak and under the eaves — and agree to specify all that in the contract.
- Don’t cut corners.
- Get the right shingles.